Traffic at 15-501 and Morganton Road

An interchange is proposed in the final draft STIP 2020-2029, with construction set to begin in 2029, at the busy U.S. 15/501 and Morganton Road intersection.

The N.C. Department of Transportation today identified 138 regional highway, aviation, ferry, rail and transit projects it anticipates funding and scheduling for construction over the next decade.

A major project that will convert the intersection at U.S. 15-501 intersection with Morganton Road to an interchange made the cut.

The evaluation of 915 regional impact projects across the state identified the top-scoring projects to be programmed for construction in the forthcoming 2020-2029 State Transportation Improvement Program (STIP). They include 115 highway projects programmed for $2.4 billion in funding, seven rail projects for $96 million, three ferry projects for $26 million, and three transit projects for $191 million.

Six regional projects will be programmed for construction in Highway Division 8 (Chatham, Hoke, Lee, Montgomery, Moore, Randolph, Richmond and Scotland counties), including:

• U.S. 74, future I-74 – Hamlet to Laurinburg in Richmond and Scotland counties: Upgrade to interstate standards

• I-73 / I-74 Rockingham Bypass in Richmond County: Construct new freeway

• U.S. 15-501 intersection with Morganton Road in Moore County: Convert to interchange

The Strategic Transportation Investments (STI) law established a data-driven process for ranking transportation projects in three categories: Statewide Mobility, Regional Impact and Division Needs.

In April, NCDOT identified 77 Statewide Mobility projects that will share 40 percent of the state’s available project funds. All projects were ranked according to data scores based on safety, congestion reduction, cost-benefit analysis and other criteria. The remaining 60 percent of the funds available over the next 10 years will be divided equally between the other two categories: Regional Impact projects, announced today, and Division Needs (local) projects, which will be announced in December.

The regional and division project rankings combine data scores with local input points assigned by local planning organizations and NCDOT engineers. Regional projects that did not score high enough can be considered for possible funding in the Division category.

NCDOT and local planning organizations received public comment on all projects in May and early June. In the coming weeks, each of NCDOT's 14 divisions will receive additional public comment on Division Needs project rankings and priorities.

More information about the STIP development process, including lists of projects ranked high enough to win funding at the Statewide Mobility and Regional Impact levels, is available on the NCDOT website. To see details and data scores for all 2,100 statewide, regional and division projects evaluated in April, download this spreadsheet.

To comment on Division Needs projects in Division 8, contact Bryan Kluchar 910-944-2344 or bdkluchar@ncdot.gov between Sept. 24 and Oct. 5.

Residents also can submit comments in person between Oct. 1 and Oct. 5 by visiting the Division 8 office at 121 DOT Drive, Carthage, N.C., 28327.

(1) comment

John McInerney

re 15-501 and Morganton Road intersection: can someone tell me what "convert to interchange" means?

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Comments that violate any of the rules above are subject to removal by staff.

Thank you for Reading!

Please purchase a subscription to continue reading. Subscribe today and support local community journalism.

Digital Only Subscriptions

Thank you for visiting ThePilot.com and supporting award-winning community journalism. Not everyone wants to have a newspaper delivered to their home, but they want to keep up with the latest news in Moore County. Click here to gain digital-only access and support local journalism.

Starting at
$1.07 for 1 day

Connect Print Subscription to Digital Access

Thank you for visiting ThePilot.com. Your Pilot subscription entitles you to unlimited digital access. Simply log in. From the home page, click on Subscription Services. Then click on "Pilot All Access Print Subscribers." It should show your phone number . If so, click "Sign Up." After a few seconds, it will take you back to the home page. Log out, then log back in. You're set! For any problems, call our customer service number at 910-693-2487 or 693-2488.

Free access for current print subscribers