The municipal election filing period opened Friday at noon with some familiar faces and a few political newcomers in the crowd.
Carthage Town Commissioner George Wilson was the first candidate in the door of the Moore County Board of Elections office. He is seeking the mayoral seat, one of six in the county’s 11 municipalities that will be filled by voters come November.
“I’m fired up and ready to go,” said Wilson.
He will be joined by on the ballot by fellow Carthage Town Commissioner Jimmy Challflinch, who also arrived within the first hour of the filing period opening.
Other early registered mayoral candidates include Chris Notaro and John Strickland for Pinehurst; Carol Haney for Southern Pines; Angela Vacek and incumbent Eddie Callahan for Vass; and incumbent Robbie Farrell for Aberdeen. Southern Pines Mayor David McNeill and Pinehurst Mayor Nancy Roy Fiorillo have both already announced they will not seek re-election this fall.
Also signing paperwork on Friday were Bryan Bowles, who filed for one of three open seats on the Aberdeen Town Board; R. Dustin Smith and Dan Bonillo for seats on the Carthage Town Board; and incumbent George “JR” Blackwell Jr., who is seeking a second term on the Vass Town Board.
Whispering Pines council candidates who filed by 3 p.m. on Friday included Glenn Bernhard, who is seeking one of the two full four-year term open seats. Ian Duke and Dean Kalles are seeking to fill one of two unexpired two-year term seats.
In total, there are 32 seats on town boards and councils that will be up for grabs in this year’s municipal election. These seats include:
* Aberdeen — Mayor (currently Robbie Farrell) and three town commissioner (four-year term) seats.
* Cameron — Three town commissioner (four-year term) seats and one commissioner unexpired term (two-year) seat.
* Carthage — Mayor (currently Lee McGraw) and two town commissioner (four-year terms) seats.
* Foxfire Village — Two town commissioner (four-year term) seats.
* Pinebluff — Three town commissioner (four-year term) seats and one town commissioner unexpired term (two-year) seat.
* Pinehurst — Mayor (currently Nancy Roy Fiorillo) and two council member (four-year term) seats.
* Robbins — Mayor (currently Lonnie English) and two town commissioner (four-year term) seats.
* Southern Pines -- Mayor (currently David McNeill) and two council member (four-year term) seats.
* Taylortown -- Five council member (two-year term) seats.
* Vass — Mayor (currently Eddie Callahan Jr.) and three town commissioner (four-year term) seats.
* Whispering Pines — Two council member (four-year term) seats and one council member unexpired term (two-year) seat.
The official filing period runs to noon on July 19.