Community Presbyterian Church has announced its 12 scholarship and award winners.
In April applications for the various categories of scholarships were distributed to the counselors at all of the local high schools, SCC and in the church information outlets. Soon after, interviews, a few by Skype, are conducted by a five-member committee and winners are sent letters.
- Ryan Baer received the Joyce G. and Roger W. Johnson Scholarship. He is attending Sandhills Community College, where he is obtaining his associate degree.
- The Virginia Wessinger Scholarship recipients are Keegan Foyles, who will attend Methodist University to pursue a degree in choral music education; Josef Francis, who will be attending Marantha Baptist University to pursue a degree in music composition and piano pedagogy; and Denice Bills, who is attending Sandhills Community College to pursue a degree in nursing.
- The James W. McClung Scholarship is awarded to Kaylan Gerdes, who will be attending the University of Glasgow to pursue a master’s degree in art history.
- CPC Scholarships were awarded to: Madalynn Beadell, who is at East Carolina University studying occupational therapy; Kirsten Foyles, who will be attending the summer program at Loyola University in Maryland, completing her master’s of music education with Kodaly certification; Emily Herbst, who will be attending Appalachian State University to pursue a degree in exercise science and occupational therapy; and Brent Hoshall, who attends UNC Wilmington in pursuit of a degree in business administration.
- The Diefendorf Scholarship is awarded to Anna Hagedorn, who will be attending N.C. State University’s College of Engineering and pursuing a degree in computer science.
- The Sheila Langdon Pierce Endowment is awarded to Peggy Dousharm, who is at UNC Wilmington to pursue a BSN.
- The Helen and Charles Millar Scholarship is awarded to Faith Schofield, who will be attending Sandhills Community College to pursue a degree in nursing.