Angela Hastings, one week after being released from Moore Regional Hospital following a long battle with COVID-19.

On Tuesday, Aug. 17, 2021, Seagrove resident Angela Hastings started to get a sore throat, fever and nausea. By Friday, her sore throat was so severe that she couldn’t swallow ibuprofen to help break her persistent high fever. A visit to her doctor confirmed what she didn’t want to hear — COVID-19.

The following Monday, Angela’s former pastor gave her a pulse oximeter for measuring her blood oxygen level. A normal blood oxygen measurement is 95 percent or higher, but Angela’s was 83 percent, indicating that her body wasn’t getting the oxygen it needed. Her husband, who also had COVID-19, but with milder symptoms, called EMS. Paramedics transported Angela to FirstHealth Moore Regional Hospital in Pinehurst.

Angela doesn’t remember much after arriving at the hospital. “I remember asking the Lord to take care of me,” she says. “I told my husband to not give up on me.”

Angela soon developed pneumonia, a condition that causes the lungs to fill with fluid and become inflamed. Doctors placed her on a ventilator to breathe for her and help keep her alive.

Statistics show that once patients with COVID-19 experience breathing difficulties so severe that they need a ventilator, their survival rate is low. “We were told she had only a 20 percent chance of making it off the ventilator,” says Angela’s daughter, Tabitha Gesme. “And if she did make it, she likely would not be herself.”

Jordanna Hostler, M.D., was one of Angela’s critical care physicians at Moore Regional.

“I told Angela’s family that she had a very bad prognosis, but we were going to work together,” Hostler says. She connected Angela’s family with palliative care, a service that supports patients with life-limiting diseases and their families.

Establishing Angela’s Team

When developing a plan for critical care, Hostler often employs a concept called “shared decision making.” She presents the facts about a patient’s condition to the family, and they make health care decisions as a team.

Angela’s team decided that if her condition declined into respiratory arrest, they would not try to resuscitate her.

“We decided not to try CPR or electrical shock because those treatments for patients as sick as Angela are usually futile and fatal,” says Hostler. “We were going to give her the best possible chance to survive, but not hurt her in the process.”

Angela’s family embraced the team concept. “Angela’s family came into her treatment as a partnership with her health care providers,” Hostler says. “They listened and asked good questions. The positive attitude they brought to the situation really helped me do my job.”

Tabitha Gesme reciprocated the admiration. “Dr. Hostler was a godsend,” she says. “She constantly kept me informed on everything, and her plans were absolutely wonderful for Mom.”

Hostler set a daily goal for Angela’s improvement, such as a medication reduction that Angela could tolerate or less support from the breathing machine. Gesme shared the daily goals with a larger, extended team — an army of Angela’s friends and family.

“I’m telling you, I’ve never seen this many people praying for somebody,” Gesme says. “Sometimes, it would take a couple of days to get what we prayed for, but not one single prayer was left unanswered.”

Keeping Her Care Team on Their Toes

One of the many components of Angela’s treatment was sedation medication so her body would remain still and start to heal. While these drugs were essential, Hostler told Angela’s family that the longer she was on the paralytic medication, the longer it would take to recover. Also, Angela needed to be off these medications before doctors could remove the ventilator.

Weaning Angela off the paralytic medications proved difficult, as it caused Angela to become anxious and agitated. “Mom kept the nurses on their toes,” Gesme says.

After Angela’s body was awake, the next goal was tapering medications so her mind could be awake, a balance that took several days to find.

“She needed to be sedated enough to not hurt herself but aware enough to participate in her own care,” says Hostler. Again, Angela’s extended team of prayer warriors got to work.

A next step was removing Angela from the ventilator — a procedure carefully executed through trial and error. Hostler reduced Angela’s breathing machine support to see how she fared. Angela improved, so Hostler maintained the course. She kept Angela’s family informed at each step.

Angela’s health care team attempted to remove the ventilator on Sept. 13, but soon after, her throat became swollen and closed. She required a tracheostomy, a surgical opening in the front of the neck so doctors could insert a tube into her trachea (windpipe) to help her breathe. Doctors put her back on the ventilator through the tracheostomy. Hostler told Angela’s family the opening in her neck wasn’t permanent, but would help her recover faster.

Doctors also inserted a percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG or feeding) tube for Angela’s nutrition.

“A Miracle”

On Sept. 17, one month after Angela started feeling ill, doctors removed her ventilator. Gesme called it a miracle.

At this point, another team with new goals got to work on Angela — a multi-specialty group of FirstHealth physical therapists to strengthen her body, occupational therapists to assist with everyday tasks and speech-language pathologists to help her talk and swallow.

“Once Angela woke up and I got to know her, I realized that she is just another part of her amazing family,” Hostler says. “She worked hard and did everything that was asked of her to actively participate in her rehabilitation.”

In addition to Hostler and the therapists, Gesme credits the nurses for their help, notably Dory Franklin, R.N., BSN, CBN.

“Dory helped me throughout Mom’s care, particularly with research and helping me find more information about what we were going through,” Gesme says.

Angela’s army of friends and family continued their work outside the hospital walls.

Angela continued improving and wanted to walk around — uncommon among patients with COVID-19, especially after only four weeks in the hospital. She transferred to a rehabilitation hospital in Greensboro. The original plan was to stay there for four weeks, but she surpassed all goals and was out in eight days.

Angela returned home on Oct. 5 and is recuperating well, reporting only a few headaches. On Oct. 20, just eight weeks after her first COVID-19 symptoms, she walked with her husband to the end of their 485-foot driveway.

The Importance of Vaccination and Testing: “COVID-19 is No Joke.”

Before getting COVID-19, Angela had not received the vaccine, but she reported she will soon. “COVID-19 is no joke,” she says. “It’s real, and I wish people would be more cautious about it.”

The mother of four and grandmother of seven also stressed the need for COVID-19 testing.

“If people think they might have COVID-19, they really need to get tested, so they don’t spread it,” she says.

Angela hopes to return to her administrative job at a foundry in Biscoe by the end of the year. She also wants to get back to fishing, camping, gardening, crocheting and playing with the grandkids.

“All of us in Mom’s army prayed that God would bring Mom out of this and give us more time with her,” Gesme says, adding that she also hoped her mother could be mobile. “Now, as I see her moving around, it’s almost like she never went through this. She is an absolute miracle.”

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Comments that violate any of the rules above are subject to removal by staff.

Thank you for reading!

Please purchase a subscription to continue reading. Subscribe today and support local community journalism.

Digital Only Subscriptions

The Pilot

Get unlimited digital access and support award-winning local journalism, for just $5 a month. This includes access to the electronic replica edition of The Pilot.

Starting at
$5.35 for 30 days

Already have a Print Subscription? Get Digital Access Free.

The Pilot

As a print subscriber, you also have unlimited digital access. Connect your account now.

Home Delivery

The Pilot

Our best deal: Get all the news of Moore County delivered to your home each Wednesday and Sunday — and receive unlimited digital access to thepilot.com.

Starting at
$27.82 for 90 days