Sheila Watson

Sheila Watson waves farewell to members of the Moore Regional Hospital staff in Pinehurst. Photo courtesy of FirstHealth of the Carolinas.

It was a rolling party when Sheila Watson was discharged from Moore Regional Hospital last Friday. Some 200 hundred FirstHealth of the Carolinas staff lined the hallways and outside portico for a surprise send-off.

Watson, 60, waved regally from her wheelchair after defying the odds. The Rockingham woman spent 66 days in the hospital, including three weeks on a ventilator, in a fight for her life against COVID-19.

She is continuing her recovery at home, still supplemented with daily oxygen, and working her way back into a regular routine.

“I’m doing excellent compared to what I have been through,” Watson said, with a light laugh. “I am great!”

Watson, a diabetic, said she first began feeling ill in mid-April but couldn’t quite put her finger on what was wrong. She reached out to her sister, Sandra White, who was concerned enough to bring Watson into her home for closer observation.

“Sheila had lost her husband three weeks earlier of a long-standing cardiac issue. I was worried that she was grief-stricken and maybe a bit dehydrated and her blood sugar might be low,” said White. “She was acting tired and run-down.”

Two days later, Watson awoke so weak that her family decided to call 911 rather than chance her falling while walking to the car.

When she arrived at FirstHealth Moore Regional Hospital-Richmond, Watson was immediately tested for the novel coronavirus along with a battery of other tests.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, signs and symptoms of COVID-19 can vary, though most individuals will experience fever (83-99 percent), cough (59-82 percent) and fatigue (44-70 percent).

Watson had a fever and fatigue: more alarmingly, she felt like she was struggling to breathe.

Twelve days after being admitted to the hospital, her condition further deteriorated. Watson was placed on ventilator support and transferred to Moore Regional Hospital’s flagship facility in Pinehurst.

“I only remember this in bits and pieces,” Watson said.

Strict visitor restrictions at FirstHealth kept her family at a distance; however, by then, White, her husband and daughter, had also tested positive for COVID-19 and were recovering at home under self-quarantine.

Sheila Watson

Alexia Moore, LPN, hugs Sheila Watson before she departs Moore Regional Hospital. Photo courtesy of FirstHealth of the Carolinas.

“Our sister Linda would call morning and evenings to talk with nursing staff. They were very helpful,” White said. “And every three days, the doctor would call Sheila’s son to give him a report.”

At times, Watson became so unresponsive that doctors feared she suffered a stroke. One day when she was especially quiet, the Neuro-ICU nursing team put the phone to Watson’s ear so her son could wish her Happy Mother’s Day.

“We knew she could hear him because they said she tried to blink her eyes and move her legs,” White said. “But she couldn’t speak.”

Kaitlin Stella, R.N., said that placing the phone near the patient or allowing their family to see them through a FaceTime chat can provide a sense of comfort.

“It is really motivating for patients, even if they are sedated to hear that familiar voice,” she said.

Stella said the phone calls also help the nursing staff form closer relationships with the patient and their family. 

 “Everyday they would let us know how she was doing. Pinehurst was awesome and made sure we knew everything possible. Every test and every twitch she made, we knew about it,” she added.

Eventually Watson was weaned off the ventilator, FirstHealth’s first ventilator-dependent patient to survive COVID-19 according to Stella.

“That was the best day when I called her sister to tell her she’d come off the ventilator,” she said.

Watson was transferred to Moore Regional Hospital’s rehabilitation floor where she continued her recovery. She recalled one day when she was craving Chinese food. The staff made a special spot for her on a balcony, so she could wave and say hello to her son when he arrived with her special meal delivery.

Now back at home, Watson is still making strides towards a full recovery. Because of her severe symptoms coupled with underlying medical conditions, she suffered neuropathy in her feet as a result of steroids needed to treat COVID-19 that increased her sugar levels. 

“I can’t walk without a walker. But I am home, I can breathe, and I am so grateful.”

(1) comment

Patricia Bryan

So happy for Sheila and bless all the people on the front lines at Moore Regional Hospital who cared for her and for her family. Five star story.

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Comments that violate any of the rules above are subject to removal by staff.

Thank you for reading!

Please purchase a subscription to read our premium content. If you have a subscription, please log in or sign up for an account on our website to continue.

Digital Only Subscriptions

Get 24-7 digital-only access and support award-winning community journalism. This gives you access to and its electronic replica edition.

Starting at
$5.35 for 30 days

Already a Print Subscriber? Get Digital Access Free.

As a print subscriber , you also receive unlimited digital access. You can do that here. For any problems, call our customer service number at 910-693-2487 or 693-2488.

Free access for current print subscribers

Home Delivery

Get all the news of Moore County delivered to your home each Wednesday and Sunday with home delivery. Your home delivery subscription also includes unlimited digital access to

Starting at
$27.82 for 90 days