The Moore County Airport Authority has received a grant from the North Carolina Department of Transportation for repairs to airport facilities.

The goal of the grant is to repair of several miles of old underground drainage pipes which are leaking and undermining the runways and taxiways. The grant is for $1.3 million, 90 percent of which will be paid by the state and federal government. The remaining 10 percent will be funded by the Airport Authority from funds generated by airport operations. No county funds or local taxpayer monies will be used for this project.

Airport Manager Ron Maness expects the project to begin immediately and be completed by mid-May, weather permitting.

The repairs will improve storm water drainage at the 550-acre airport. Some of the drains and pipes date from the early 1960s when the runway was first paved. In 2015, the airport used robotic cameras and ground-penetrating radar to conduct a census of all the underground drains. The inspection determined the pipes are all either corrugated steel drains or brittle concrete or terracotta pipes. They range from six inches to four feet in diameter. Many were found to be in perilously degraded condition. The grant sought funding to repair about 1.5 miles of the most deteriorated underground pipes.

“Overall, the pipes were in better condition than we feared, it wasn’t a worst-case scenario,” Maness explained. “But some of them are really, really old. There are cracks and leaks everywhere.”

Based on the preliminary study, the project was approved by the county commissioners in 2016, the grant was submitted in 2017 and the state responded last fall.

“The process of creating and winning these grants is a complex and time-consuming task,” said Airport Authority Chairman Tom McPherson. “Many airports in the State are fighting for these funds. But our team was able to submit a really well-researched and well-documented plan that caught the eyes of the Department of Aviation. It was an awesome piece of engineering and staff work.”

The repair process will be fascinating because it will be an invisible process. Removing and replacing all the old pipes would cause substantial damage such as ripping up runways and parking areas. Instead, the contractor will make all the repairs underground. The plan is to coat the inside of the existing pipes with a plastic gel which hardens in place. The gel is extremely strong, hard and smooth. Because the new surface is smooth, the flow rates of the drain pipes are improved even though the pipes are narrowed slightly. The gel also prevents leaks and stops roots from growing in to system. Manholes and access points will be inspected, repaired or replaced as required. Airport operations will be unaffected. Another batch of repairs will be scheduled for early in the next decade.

(3) comments

Kent Misegades

Sounds like an enormously high expense to taxpayers. Who will do the work? Was there evidence of a problem or was this the result of a contractor trolling for a juicy job? “The grant is for $1.3 million, 90 percent of which will be paid by the state and federal government. The remaining 10 percent will be funded by the Airport Authority from funds generated by airport operations. No county funds or local taxpayer monies will be used for this project.”. Free money? Hardly. Airport projects are funded through aviation fuel taxes and landing fees. If you use aviation in any form, for human or air freight, you are paying for this expensive project. That means just about everyone who flies or makes use of Amazon, UPS, FEDEX, the USPS, etc.

Dan Roman

Always amazing when someone who has no idea what they are talking about prattles on. The FAA doesn't spend a dime unless there is a real need or problem and even then airports compete for funding.
The most interesting information in this article is that the county, which owns the airport, isn't paying for the matching funds required to secure the grant to repair the infrastructure which underlies the airport which the county owns.

Jim Tomashoff

What are you talking about Dan? Kent knows everything about everything. No matter the subject, no matter the estimated cost, Kent knows it's a boondoggle and that taxpayers are being ripped off. Taxpayers are being ripped off because in Kent's ideal society, there would be no taxpayers. Everything would be funded by user fees, everything would be a profit making enterprise. Want the fire department to put out the fire engulfing your house? Well, did you plan ahead and retain the services of said department through a monthly or yearly fee? If not, tough. Do you have a child in school? Then pay tuition to the school. No child in school?. Then you'll not have to contribute government mandated money in the form of taxes to pay for operating the public schools because in Kent's world there would be no public schools. Can't afford that operation for your child? Guess what, your child's going to die. Again, tough. Why should we expect Kent, or anyone else to contribute taxes to pay for your kid's operation? Kent, by the way, calls his system the highest expression of personal "freedom." Kent's also a "Christian." You know, except for the loving thy neighbor crapola.

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Comments that violate any of the rules above are subject to removal by staff.

Thank you for Reading!

Please purchase a subscription to continue reading. Subscribe today and support local community journalism.

Digital Only Subscriptions

Thank you for visiting ThePilot.com and supporting award-winning community journalism. Not everyone wants to have a newspaper delivered to their home, but they want to keep up with the latest news in Moore County. Click here to gain digital-only access and support local journalism.

Starting at
$1.07 for 1 day

Connect Print Subscription to Digital Access

Thank you for visiting ThePilot.com. Your Pilot subscription entitles you to unlimited digital access. Simply log in. From the home page, click on Subscription Services. Then click on "Pilot All Access Print Subscribers." It should show your phone number . If so, click "Sign Up." After a few seconds, it will take you back to the home page. Log out, then log back in. You're set! For any problems, call our customer service number at 910-693-2487 or 693-2488.

Free access for current print subscribers