West End's Class of 1962 Celebrates 50 Years
In June 1962, >32 young adults graduated from West End High School. >
On June 23, 2012, they reunited for a 50-year celebration at the Inn of Eagle Springs. >Earlier that day, they met at the >location of the West End school, where the class had installed a historical marker on the site where the building had stood from 1927 until 1986, when it was demolished.
More than half of these graduates actually started first grade together in the same building from which they graduated. >
Also invited to the reunion were two teachers, Sara Ruth Thompson and Otis Boroughs, along with any classmates who had attended school with this class, even those who had moved away and graduated from other schools. >
A total of 42 attended, which also included some spouses. >The class members are scattered from Florida to Illinois to California, with a number of them traveling here for the event. Some who were unable to attend sent letters to update the class on their happenings.
"Everyone thoroughly enjoyed a long evening of fellowship and reconnection, of picture-sharing and story-telling," says Annette Thompson. "Planning is already under way for another get-together within the next few years."
More like this story
- Favorite Teacher: Thompson Honored Three Decades After Retirement
- Peace Corps Celebrates 50 Years Local Volunteers Recall Their Experiences
- Local Artists Frank Giordano and Diane Kraudelt to be Featured at First Friday Opening
- Carolina Philharmonic To Host Second Annual Gala
- Articles of Faith: Many Holy Week Celebrations Planned