Komen Grant to Fund Free Breast Cancer Screenings
The Komen NC Triangle to the Coast Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure has just invested another $1.1 million in 19 community organizations through its community health funding program.
The awarded funding will address the local need for breast health services through breast cancer education, screening, treatment support services, post-diagnostic care, genetic testing for high-risk women, angel funds, exercise therapy and support groups for women and men who are uninsured or underinsured in our community.
FirstHealth of the Carolinas, in partnership with the Moore Free Care Clinic, Pinehurst Radiology, Moore County Department of Social Services and Moore County Health Department, received $68,190 from the Komen grant to provide free screening mammograms to patients of the Moore Free Care Clinic and patients eligible for the Moore County Breast and Cervical Cancer Control Program (BCCCP).
Representatives of the locally involved agencies say the grant offers a great opportunity to fill a need for low-income patients in the area. In the past, FirstHealth provided screening mammograms through its mobile health unit, but changes in technology resulted in the end of the mobile mammography program as funding sources diminished.
“BCCCP is open only to women 50 years of age and older, and state and federal funding for the program has been significantly cut over the past several years,” says Chris Miller, administrative director of FirstHealth Community Health Services. “Therefore, there is a significant amount of unmet need in our county as we attempt to catch breast cancer at its earliest stages.”
“Last September, we helped sponsor a charity race and walk, the 1 in 8k Rally for the Cure, that benefited the local Susan G. Komen affiliate,” says John Eastman, chief operating officer of Pinehurst Radiology. “The race was able to send more than $29,000 to Komen, so it is nice to see such a large grant coming back into our community to fund mammograms and treatment for women who need it in Moore County.”
“Given the demographic of our patients, screening for breast cancer is essential,” says Tony Price, CEO of the Moore Free Care Clinic. “Often, women and men will forgo necessary health screenings because of the lack of insurance or access to affordable health care. Mammograms are like a gift, as you can either detect a problem early or feel good that the test was negative. Either way, one is better informed by receiving a mammogram. The Moore Free Care Clinic is excited about the opportunity to help more women and men with awareness, education, screening and treatment.”
The NC Triangle to the Coast Affiliate has awarded more than $13 million to local community programs since its inception in 1997.
Komen NC Triangle to the Coast remains committed to creating a local impact by dedicating 75 percent of its net income to fund local programs like the 19 that received grants this year. The remaining 25 percent funds national breast cancer research.
These community health programs will use their funding to help local uninsured, underinsured, low-income, and underserved women and men gain access to breast cancer screening, bilingual breast-health education materials, survivorship support and other ancillary support services. Services provided will address the existing gaps in breast health care, as identified through the affiliate’s breast health community assessment, which is done every two years.
Susan G. Komen for the Cure is the world’s largest breast cancer organization, and the NC Triangle to the Coast Affiliate is one of 125 affiliates on the front lines dedicated to ending breast cancer in their communities, a news release said.
Komen affiliates fund programs that help women and men overcome the cultural, social, educational and financial barriers to breast cancer screening and treatment.
For more information, call (919) 493-2873 or visit www.komennctriangle.org.
More like this story