19th Hole: McIlroy, Lewis, Chapman Honored
Rory McIlroy, Stacy Lewis and Roger Chapman have been named 2012 players of the year by the Golf Writers Association of America.
It is the first GWAA POY award for all three players. They will be honored at the GWAA’s 41st annual awards dinner on April 10 in Augusta, Ga.
All three players were landslide winners in the GWAA balloting. McIlroy earned 97.9 percent of the votes (190 votes), while Brandt Snedeker (three) and Tiger Woods (one) combined for the other 2.1 percent.
Lewis received 78.8 percent of the vote for female POY (153) to 16 percent for Na Yeon Choi (31) and five percent for Inbee Park (10). In the senior balloting, Chapman pulled 60 percent of the vote (116) to 22.6 percent for Tom Lehman (44) and 17 percent for Bernhard Langer (33).
McIlroy won five times in 2012, including a tournament-record eight-shot win at the PGA Championship, and won the money titles on both the PGA Tour and European Tour.
The Northern Irishman also won both the PGA Tour’s Byron Nelson Award and PGA of America’s Vardon Trophy for adjusted low scoring average (68.87) and finished the season with 10 top-10s in 16 starts.
The world No. 1 birdied the final five holes to win the DP World Tour Championship in Dubai to close out the season.
This is the third year in a row — and fourth time in five years — the GWAA award has gone to a European-born player. McIlroy also won the Golf Writers Trophy (a vote of the Association of Golf Writers) and both the PGA and European Tour POY honors.
Lewis won four times to become the first American since Beth Daniel in 1994 to win the Rolex Player of the Year points list and the first American to win the GWAA’s POY since Juli Inkster in 1999.
She also had three runner-up finishes, including a share of second at the Wegman’s LPGA Championship, and finished third on the LPGA money list ($1.87 million). Lewis, who grew up in The Woodlands, Texas, had a steel rod and five screws inserted in her back 10 years ago to correct scoliosis.
Chapman started the year with conditional status on the Champions Tour, but the Englishman won the Senior PGA Championship in his first 2012 start. Seven weeks later, he came from four shots back to win the U.S. Senior Open by two shots over Bernhard Langer, 2011 Champions Tour Player of the Year Tom Lehman, Fred Funk and Corey Pavin.
He is the fourth player to win the Senior PGA and Senior Open in the same year and the first player since Mike Reid (2009), whose first two Champions wins were majors.
Chapman played in just 12 tournaments and finished fourth on the Charles Schwab Cup standings and 13th on the Champions money list.
More like this story