Historic Buildings Featured on Carthage Christmas Tour of Homes
The Carthage Historical Committee will host its annual Carthage Christmas Tour of Homes, Sunday, Dec. 4.
Five Carthage homes and two historic buildings, all decorated for the holidays, will be featured on the tour, which is from 2 to 5 p.m. The committee's suggested starting point is the Carthage Museum.
Tickets for the tour are $10 and can be purchased prior the the tour at Fidelity Bank, Pete's Restaurant, Lisa's Boutique and the Carthage Municipal Building, 4396 U.S. 15-501.
On the day of the tour, tickets may be purchased at the Carthage Museum, across from Fry and Prickett Funeral Home, and at the individual tour homes.
The tour includes:
The Carthage Museum, 202 Rockingham Street
This building was constructed in 1894, and was home to the Robert Burns family until 1914. It was located on property behind what is now Ouida's Antiques on the corner of Monroe and Rockingham streets. After building the home that is now Ouida's, Mr. Burns decided to move this house farther down the street to make more room for their new house.
The old house (now the museum) was placed on logs and pulled by mules and horses to its present location on the corner of Rockingham and Saunders streets. It was then purchased by the John V. Williamson family, who lived there for many years.
In 1974, the Moore County Board of Education purchased the property and renovated it for use as a kindergarten. In 1997, it was given to the town of Carthage.
The home of Tommy and Jean Y. Prickett, 436 Niagara-Carthage Road
This 2,800-square-foot, brick, ranch-style house sits atop a small hill on two acres with five-and-a half acres adjoining. Built in 1969, it has four bedrooms, a living room, dining room, den, kitchen with breakfast area and a Carolina room facing the wooded backyard.
The Pricketts purchased the home in 1989, and later remodeled the front exterior, adding columns and a ceiling to the porch.
Most of the home's furnishings are antiques collected from near and far. Jean's favorite piece is the solid walnut breakfast table. It belonged to her mother, whose minister built it from a tree downed in a storm. Tommy's favorite piece is a chest that belonged to his great-great-grandfather.
Notable Christmas decorations include a Victorian theme in the living room, a display of Waterford crystal in the dining room, and a special grandmother/grandson tree in the breakfast room.
The home of Kenny and Laura Love, 250 Vass-Carthage Road
Built in 1917, this cozy American bungalow-style house features three bedrooms, two bathrooms, living room, two fireplaces and kitchen with separate eating area. The welcoming front porch, complete with a swing and bench, beckons the visitor to come on in. The large back deck includes bench seats and a Carolina jasmine-covered pergola flanking one side.
Although there have been numerous owners, the previous owner, Jonathan Williams, renovated the house to modern standards.
The current owners purchased it in 2004, and made only minor decorative changes on the inside but made major changes on the -outside. A landscaped yard teeming with a variety of perennials, annuals, bushes and trees showcases the owner's love for the outdoors. The gem of the yard is the private custom-paver patio with fire pit in the back. Walk under the trellis arbor covered with Lady Banks roses and you enter into an oasis of relaxation and tranquillity. An outdoor kitchen and water feature are currently in the construction phase.
An ever-popular style, this cottage is a perfect little treasure which reflects an age-old design that is always "in" in the South.
The home of Todd and Doris Fite, 105 Vass-Carthage Road
Built in 1885, this home was purchased in 1919 by O.B. and Sarah Flinchum, who moved to Carthage from Pilot Mountain. They owned and operated the O.B. Flinchum Co., a dry goods store located in downtown Carthage on McReynolds Street. Flinchum deeded the house to his daughter Iola in 1940.
After Flinchum's death in 1953, Iola and her husband, Joe Caddell, ran the store until it closed in 1970. The house later went to Iola's daughter Ruby, who sold it to the Johnathan Williams family in 1999.
The Williams spent four years renovating the home. They opened up the living space to accommodate large crowds, brought the home up to code and added several modern luxuries such as a master suite and bath with a Jacuzzi, a spacious kitchen with beautiful copper countertops, and many architectural and decorative touches.
In 2010, Todd and Doris Fite and their three daughters moved to Carthage from Apex, and bought the home. They are continuing to remodel and embellish this century-old Victorian.
The home of Carol Sparks, 508 Martin St.
Known as the Charles Kivett lot, the land was purchased from C.C. Muse in 1932, by Charles A. and Sallie May Kivett.
In 1938, Christopher and Jennie Gray purchased the land and built the cottage and carriage house around 1949. It stayed in the Gray family until it was sold to Charles and Geraldine Watson in 1984.
The cottage suffered extensive damage in a fire in 2004. Kenneth and Deelie Whitesell purchased the land in 2006 and restored the cottage and carriage house in 2008.
Carthage Town Manager Carol Sparks and her miniature schnauzer, Hermione Grainger Sparks, have lived in the cottage since July 2008.
Small but cozy, the cottage interior was completely renovated. Walls were removed to enlarge the living area, and crown molding was added throughout the house. Hand-crafted, customized cabinets were installed in the kitchen and bathroom. New siding and a large back deck were added to the exterior.
The Home of Chad and Jennifer Thomason, 110 Buggy Drive
Built in 1997, this brick, ranch-style home was purchased by the Thomasons in 2010.
Assisted by family and friends, they completed a three-week, 14-hours-a-day renovation of the downstairs. That includes four bedrooms, two baths, a kitchen, dining room, living room, family room and sunroom. A few windows and doors were replaced, hardwood floors were added throughout, and the interior repainted.
Not included in the renovation was the fireplace in the family room, an outstanding feature of the house. It reaches floor to ceiling and is built of rounded, stacked stones.
Building Christmas traditions for their boys, ages 3 and 1, is important to the Thomasons. They begin their Christmas season with a trip to the North Carolina mountains to select the perfect tree.
The Sinclair Christian Life Center, 405 McReynolds St.
Built in 1914, the home of Charles and Louise Sinclair was a mail-order home bought from Sears & Roebuck for $5,140, and shipped to Carthage by rail in pieces.
The three-story home has four bedrooms, a living room, parlor, dining room, kitchen, two baths and servants' quarters. There are eight fireplaces. The two arches in the front feature hand-blown Edison light bulbs, seven of which still burn today.
Given as a gift to the United Methodist Church, the home has been renovated and is used for both church and community events.
More like this story