Cook Smart, Eat Smart: Black Bean Dip
This hot bean dip will be perfect for eating while watching the football games. The Moore County Extension Office's Cook Smart/Eat Smart program is happy to offer this recipe for your eating pleasure.
Black Bean Dip
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
1 tablespoon jalapeno peppers, chopped
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons salsa
1 1/4 cups cheese, grated (mild cheddar or a combination of cheddar and Monterey jack)
2 (15-ounce) cans whole-kernel corn, drained
Freshly ground pepper
Baked tortilla chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mash beans with a fork, leaving some chunks (do not use processor).
3. Add the remaining ingredients, reserving 1/4 cup cheese, and mix well.
4. Pour into a 2-quart baking dish that has been coated with nonstick cooking spray.
5. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup of cheese.
6. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
7. Serve with tortilla chips.
This is an easy appetizer that can be made well in advance and baked just before serving. You may want to use low-fat cheese in this recipe.
Nutrition information per serving: Makes 6 servings. Nutrition information for dip only: Calories 197. Total fat 3.5 g. Saturated Fat 1 g. Protein 11 g. Carbohydrates 30 g. Fiber 6 g. Sodium 1203 mg.
More like this story