History: Railroads, Golf Play Into County's Rich Past
1760s: Joel McLendon builds his cabin on Mt. Carmel Road in upper Moore County. It is the oldest house in the county on its original location. In the 1820s, a second house, the Bryant House, is built on the property. The houses are owned by the Moore County Historical Association and are open for tours.
1772: The House in the Horseshoe is built in the bend of the Deep River. It is the site of a 1781 skirmish between Whigs and Tories during the Revolutionary War.
1780: William England begins operating a grist mill at the "Great Falls of Deep River." This area is eventually known as High Falls.
1784: Moore County is formed from Cumberland County. Most of its residents live in the upper half of the county. It is named for Alfred Moore, a colonel who fought at Moore's Creek, the opening battle of the Revolutionary War in North Carolina. He eventually becomes a member of the legislature and later a justice on the Supreme Court.
1796: The town of Carthage is formed. It later becomes the county seat. The Tyson and Jones Buggy Company is founded there in the mid-1800s and remains the largest factory in the county well into the 20th century. But the coming of the automobile eventually puts an end to the business. Carthage is now one of the fastest growing towns in the county.
1825: Malcolm Blue builds a home at his farm on Bethesda Road near what will later become Aberdeen. The farm is recognized by the National Register of Historic Places and is open to the public.
1840: Charles C. Shaw builds a small home on what is now Morganton Road in Southern Pines. His son later becomes the mayor of Southern Pines. The Shaw House and two other houses on the property, the Garner House and Sanders Cabin, are owned and maintained by the Moore County Historical Association and are open for tours.
1876: The town of Cameron is incorporated. Situated on the Raleigh and Augusta Railroad, the little town was once a bustling business center. Today, it's known for its antique stores.
1887: Southern Pines incorporated. Founded by John Patrick who initially touted it as a "health and winter resort." Patrick will also develop Pinebluff, just a few miles down the road.
1890: West End grows up around the westernmost extension of the Aberdeen and Asheboro Railroad. Eagle Springs, which received its name from a medical spring discovered nearby, also has its beginnings that year. In 1898, a fire sweeps through downtown West End, destroying all of the buildings except the depot and the drugstore.
1893: Aberdeen is chartered. The area was settled around 1760 by Highland Scots. In 1879, the area is known as Blue's Crossing. Allison Francis Page begins his lumber business there and it soon becomes an important commercial center, also on the railroad.
1895: Pinehurst is founded by James W. Tufts of Boston, who made his fortune in manufacturing soda fountain equipment. The town was designed by Frederick Law Olmsted, the man who designed New York City's Central Park.The small village eventually becomes a golf resort with courses designed by Donald Ross, Tom Fazio, Ellis Maples and Rees Jones. The resort is now owned by the Dedman family.
1899: The town of Robbins, located in the northwestern portion of the county, is laid out. It is first known as Elise. The name is changed to Robbins in honor of Karl Robbins, owner of Robbins Silk Mill and a benefactor of the community. The area, settled during the latter days of the American Revolution, was known originally as Mechanics Hill.
1900: Demus Taylor, grandson of one of the first African slaves brought to America and a descendant of the Western African tribe known as Ebu, purchases land to lay out a community for the workers on James Tufts' new golf course and buildings. First known as Old Settlement, the area becomes known as Taylortown, incorporated in 1987.
1902: I.F. Chandler of Southern Pines builds a power plant to bring electricity to the area. He chooses Thagard's Lake near what is now Whispering Pines as his site.
1903: The town of Lakeview is chartered. Duncan C. Blue and his brothers arrived in the area around 1770. He dammed a creek, creating a large lake now called Crystal Lake. When the Blue family sells the property in 1902, the new owners create a small resort which operates several years. The area is now a residential community.
1907: Vass is incorporated. The area was originally settled by F.D. Byrd and was known as Bynum and then Winder, for an official of the Raleigh and Augusta Railroad. The name Vass is officially adopted in 1892.
1915: Pinehurst Harness Track becomes winter home to polo ponies, hunters, running horses and standard breeds. It is now a winter training ground for trotters and pacers, offering races in the spring.
1918: Walter Hines Page, U.S. ambassador to Great Britain, dies and is buried at Old Bethesda Cemetery.
1928: Pine Needles Resort opens. The Tudor-style inn runs into financial trouble during the Depression and the building is eventually sold to the Sisters of Providence who open a hospital there. The facility is now part of St. Joseph of the Pines. The golf course was purchased by Warren and Peggy Bell in the 1950s. New buildings were constructed to house guests, and the resort thrives once more.
1929: Moore Memorial Hospital opens its doors. This facility is now FirstHealth Moore Regional Hospital.
1931: Amelia Earhart visits Pinehurst, landing her plane on the Pinehurst airstrip.
1944: Army Chief of Staff Gen. George C. Marshall purchases his home in Pinehurst. It is said that he wrote much of the Marshall Plan for post-war European recovery while he stayed in Pinehurst.
1949: The first running of the Stoneybrook Steeplechase is held at the farm of Mickey Walsh. The race is now at Carolina Horse Park at Five Points.
1969: Whispering Pines is chartered by the N.C. Legislature and is the first municipality iin the state to be officially designated as a village. However, settlements in the area go back to the land grants of colonial days.
1973: The resort community of Seven Lakes is begun by Sanford businessman Fred Lawrence. His plan includes a pool, tennis courts, riding stable and seven lakes. The expanded development now includes Beacon Ridge and Seven Lakes West.
1977: The village of Foxfire is incorporated. It is developed from an old farm by Roland McKenzie and his partner Dan Tomlinson as a scenic residential and resort golf community.
1994: The U.S. Men's Senior Open is held at Pinehurst; Simon Hobday is the winner.
1999: Pinehurst serves as the site of the U.S. Open Championship. Payne Stewart sinks a 15-foot putt on the 18th hole to win the championship.
2000: An early January storm of snow and ice cripples many areas, leaving residents without power and, in some places, two feet of snow. Event was dubbed "The Storm of 2000."
2001: Pine Needles hosts the U.S. Women's Open for a second time and is immediately tapped for a return engagement in 2007.
2002: Moore County suffers a drought of monumental proportions that brings about mandatory conservation.
2003: John Edwards, a native of Moore, campaigns for the Democratic nomination for the presidency.
2004: A hurricane-powered tornado hits West Southern Pines, damaging or destroying many homes and businesses.
2005: The U.S. Open Championship returned to the revered Pinehurst No. 2 Course, providing another memorable experience as Michael Campbell out-dueled the field to win.
2006: ClubCorp is sold, but the Dedman family takes sole ownership of Pinehurst Resort.
2007: Cristie Kerr wins the U.S. Women's Open Championship, which was held at Pine Needles Lodge and Golf Club.
2008: Construction began on a new police station next to the Fire Department on Pennsylvania Avenue in Southern Pines.
More like this story