Fire Destroys Boy Scout Lodge
A fire Monday night destroyed a lodge being built by Boy Scout Troop 98 in West End.
The troop had spent years building the lodge on Carthage Road, using donated construction materials. The only thing still standing was a hand-laid stone fireplace.
SBI agents and insurance investigators are poring over the ground looking for evidence of the fire's origin. A passerby noticed the flames and called 911 at around midnight Monday. First responders arrived just after midnight, according to Ken Skipper, senior county fire marshal. Firefighters found the 40-by-100 foot structure fully engulfed in flames when they arrived.
It was a five-alarm fire, with West End, Carthage, Seven Lakes, Robbins and Eastwood responding.
While the SBI and other are investigating, there was no immediate sign that the fire was of suspicious origin the fire marshal said.
For more on the story, see Friday's print edition of The Pilot.
More like this story