Bicyclists Complete Cross-Country Ride
Stephen Prince and Wyatt Akin made it.
Prince and Akin finished a 3,500-mile cross-country bicycle ride across the country by pulling into Imperial Beach, Calif., Monday, 55 days after leaving Lubek, Maine, according to the Palo Verde Valley Times.
Prince, a 20-year-old from Pinehurst, and Akin, a 21-year-old from Southern Pines, took the summer-long ride to raise money in honor of Prince's late brother, Andrew, who died of neurofibromatosis (NF) in 2006 at the age of 23.
"I wanted to do this to keep the memory of my brother alive," Prince told the Valley Times. "He died so young and I hope that no other person has to go through what he did."
The pair raised over $32,000 for NF research. Supporters had pledged so much money per mile.
The Pilot featured the two in a story before they left on the ride.
More like this story
- Leg Work: 3,400-Mile Bicycle Trip Raises Funds for Foundation
- Summer's Achievement: 3,466 Mile Bike Trek Raises Awareness for Genetic Disorder
- Soggy But Spine-Tingling: Steady Rain Doesn't Deter Riders at S.P. II
- Sprechen Sie Gold?: Ligon Is Loaded for London
- Lumber River Horse Trials Offers 'Mini Course'