State Fair Awards Medals in Commercial Winery Division
Childress Vineyards of Lexington took home Best of Show and the N.C. Winegrowers Cup for its 2006 Cabernet Franc, leading the medal count with 33 awards at the ninth annual N.C. State Fair Wine Competition held Oct. 8 and 9 at the State Fairgrounds.
Old Stone Vineyards of Salisbury won the N.C. Muscadine Cup with its Sweet Muscadine wine. Best of Show in the amateur competition was awarded to Keith Lawrence of Winston-Salem.
The competition had 307 wines submitted by 41 N.C. wineries. Three panels of professional judges evaluated wines and awarded 24 double gold, 29 gold, 97 silver and 94 bronze medals. Double gold medals are awarded for unanimous decisions from the judges. Top honors in the commercial category were:
- Best Red Vinifera: Barrel Select Cabernet Franc 2006 by Childress Winery of Lexington
- Best White Vinifera: Yadkin Valley Riesling 2007 by Shelton Vineyards of Yadkin Valley
- Best Fruit Wine: Apple Mead by Buck Shoals Vineyard of Hamptonville
- Best Sparkling Wine: Ch. Reserve Blanc de Blanc NC 2006 by Biltmore Winery of Asheville
- Best White Native American: Sweet Muscadine by Old Stone Vineyards of Salisbury
- Best Red Native American: Autumn by Cypress Bend Vineyards of Wagram
- Best Muscadine Rose/Blush: Bushy Fork Red by Rock of Ages Winery of Hurdle Mills
- Best Vinifera Rose/Blush: Dixie Dawn by Iron Gate Vineyard of Mebane.
Competitions were open only to N.C. winemakers, and commercial entries had to be submitted by bonded N.C. wineries. For a complete list of winners, visit www.nccom merce.com/wine.
More like this story