Tin Whistles Display Updated at Archives
The Tin Whistles, working closely with Tufts Archives Director Audrey Moriarty and her staff, have just completed an extensive renovation and relocation of the historic Tin Whistles display.
The Tin Whistles, founded in 1904, is the oldest golfing fraternity in the country. Based in Pinehurst, this 300-member organization promotes the tradition and standards of sportsmanship, while enjoying the spirit of good fellowship through golf.
The display, which has been relocated to the Archives foyer, includes the pictorial history of the Tin Whistles as well as the trophies and other legendary memorabilia, some of which date back to the inception of the group.
The Club Championship Match Play Tournament Trophy displays every winner since 1904 to the present and includes Marshall Parshall, the first Club Captain, William C. Fownes, Jr., Richard Tufts, George Dunlap Jr., and Richard Chapman.
Many Tin Whistle members over the last 104 years have been prominent in business, finance, government and the military.
The list includes local legends Leonard and Richard Tufts, father and son, and the owners of Pinehurst from 1902 to 1971; world-renowned golf course architect Donald Ross; the "grand old man of football", and 30 years a member, Amos Alonzo Stagg; noted publishers Alexander Grosset and George Dunlap who brought The Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew and The Bobbsey Twins book series; journalist and prolific poet Edgar Guest, "The Architect of Victory" in World War II, General George Marshall, and the 38th president of the United States, Gerald R.Ford.
Tin Whistle members won the United States Amateur Championship a total of 15 times: W.C.Fownes, Jr., five-time champion Bobby Jones, George Dunlap, Richard Chapman, Arnold Palmer, two-time champions Harvie Ward, Jack Nicklaus and Jay Sigel.
A ribbon cutting was held Wednesday, Nov. 5.
More like this story