Lily Tomlin Kicks Off UNCG Concert, Lecture Series
Iconic, award-winning comedienne and actor Lily Tomlin, whose television, screen and stage credits range from "The West Wing" to "Nine to Five" to the Broadway hit, "The Search for Intelligent Life in the Universe," will kick off the University Concert and Lecture Series at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.
The series will be held in the newly-restored Aycock Auditorium on the UNCG campus. All performances begin at 8 p.m.
- Oct. 11 -- Lily Tomlin, one of the world's most loved and recognized comediennes, will present an unforgettable night of side-splitting laughter, comical insights and wildly witty observations on the human condition.
- Nov. 1 -- Just in time for the presidential election, Washington D.C.'s acclaimed political satire troupe, The Capitol Steps, will parody the foibles of our elected officials. Together, the performers have worked in 18 congressional offices and represent more than 50 years of staff experience. No matter who wins the election, the Steps are equal opportunity lampooners.
- Nov. 11 -- With a name taken from a fungus that grows in cow dung and propels itself many feet in the air, Pilobolus, an innovative modern dance company, has been wowing audiences around the world since 1971. Using a collaborative choreographic process, colorful costumes and a flowing, gymnastic approach to dance, Pilobolus combines humor, whimsy, athleticism and movement in unexpected and delightful ways.
- Jan. 30 -- The African Children's Choir has been inspiring and entertaining audiences all over the world for more than two decades. The group is composed of children from some of the poorest countries in Africa. Many of the children have lost parents from poverty or disease. Once choir members have completed a concert tour, they will return to their homelands with the support, care and education necessary for bettering their future and that of their brothers and sisters.
- Feb. 28 -- Who doesn't love a tenor? Since forming in 1998, The Irish Tenors have made countless traditional treasures breathe with new life. Their repertoire includes favorites such as "Danny Boy" and "My Wild Irish Rose," as well as interpretations of Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On." Their CDs have brought the trio a huge international following and their five PBS specials have taken then into homes and hearts all over the globe.
- April 7 -- The Moscow Festival Ballet performs Tchaikovsky's "Swan Lake." The company enchants audiences with leading dancers from across the Russias under the direction of legendary principal Bolshoi Ballet dancer Sergei Radchenko."
Season tickets are currently available at ucls.uncg.edu, or by calling (336) 334-5372. Individual tickets will be available starting Aug. 25. For ticket information, contact the UNCG Box Office at (336) 334-4849.
Tickets will also be available through the University Box Office Web site at boxoffice.uncg .edu.
Tickets may also be purchased the night of the performance at the Aycock Auditorium box office from 7 to 8:30 p.m.
Individual ticket prices range from $23 to $40. UNCG student prices are $9 and $7. A $2 discount applies for seniors, children under 12 and non-UNCG students.
For more information, visit ucls.uncg.edu.
More like this story