WEB: Water Boil Advisory Lifted for Pinehurst/Seven Lakes
After more than 24 hours of panic, Pinehurst/Seven Lakes water supply customers were able to take a deep sigh of relief at midnight Saturday.
County Public Utilities Director Marcus Jones announced the removal of the water boil advisory that had been in effect since Friday.
"We're tickled," he said. "We're going to get some sleep."
Public Utilities officers notified the customers on the water system late Friday that coliform bacteria had been detected during a routine testing of an area water supply. Fifteen such tests are conducted each month, as required by the state.
Health-care facilities went on backup water. The county ordered restaurants in the affected area to close. Pinehurst Resort scrambled to look after the needs of a full complement of guests. Area stores saw record demand for bottled water.
The water-boil advisory was placed in effect until midnight Saturday, when tests from the contaminated site were returned from a certified lab in Southern Pines.
The 20,000 customers of the water supply were told to go back to normal water use.
County Health Department Director Robert Wittmann was already in the process of notifying restaurants and food service establishments that they could reopen for business as usual.
"We even beat Cary back online," said Jones, referring to the similar water boil advisory in effect through Sunday in Cary.
The advisory was confined to a strip of 12 homes late Sunday.
Anyone with questions regarding the Moore County scare are encouraged to call (910) 947-6315.
Jones said an extensive investigation into the contamination would be conducted first thing Monday.
He said it was too early to tell the cause of the contamination. He added that there is no reason to believe the contamination is related to the situation in Cary.
The presence of fecal coliform, or E. coli, bacteria typically indicates that the water might be contaminated with human or animal waste. Contaminated water could cause diarrhea, cramps, nausea and headaches, particularly among children and those with weakened immune systems.
Jones said he believes that this is the first case of such a contamination in Moore County.
Check ThePilot.com and Wednesday's Pilot for more on this developing story.
More like this story